In the spirit of the holiday season I will be starting a new series called Whatcha Cookin’ Wednesdays in which I introduce a flavorful beef recipe in the hopes that it might help out with your holiday cooking.
Why Beef? Beef is the most power packed protein. Not only is it versatile in the ways that it can be prepared and enjoyed, but it provides our loved ones with 10 essential nutrients such as Zinc, Iron, and Protein that help with powering our brains, boosting our immune systems, transporting oxygen to our blood, and supplying our bodies with energy!
This week I will share a mouth watering recipe handed to me by a good friend who found it on http://www.eatliverun.com/crock-pot-beef-carnitas-tacos/ , and she swears it’s to die for! If you’re looking for a good Mexican style holiday treat, this is for you!
Crock Pot Beef Carnitas
2lbs flank stank (delicious lean beef cut that both your stomach and wasteband will love!)
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
For spice rub:
2 tsp chili powder
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
Your favorite salsa
- Mix together all spices in a small bowl. Rub the spices all over your flank steak—be generous here! Then, place your steak at the bottom of your crock pot.
- Cover the steak with the chopped onions, bell peppers, and jalapeno pepper. Turn heat on LOW and cook for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, remove meat from crock pot and shred with a fork. It should be incredibly easy to shred. You can either stick the shredded meat back in the pot for another hour or serve as is.
- To serve, heat your corn tortillas in a skillet on the stove. Spoon some carnitas on a tortilla then top with salsa, avocado, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime.
- Enjoy with your loved ones!
Active time—10 minutes
Total time—8 hours
*For other delicious recipes like this one feel free to visit the awesome blog http://www.eatliverun.com
Wishing you peace, love, and beef this season,